Entering Canada with a DUI

by Mansi Sahai Published on 07/Sep/2022
Entering Canada with a DUI

A DUI (Driving Under the Influence), DWI (Driving While Impaired), or reckless driving charges from pasr may mean a person is inadmissible to Canada on criminal grounds. 

Even if your DUI conviction is from many years in the past, it might still affect your ability to travel to Canada. However, there are a few ways to overcome inadmissibility to enter Canada with a DUI. If you are not able to overcome inadmissibility, you may still qualify to visit Canada.

Inadmissibility basically is an immigration related issue and it essentially means that a person is banned from coming to Canada. One of the most common reasons for inadmissibility to Canada is if the Canadian government thinks that you are a danger to public safety.

Pathways to visit Canada with a DUI

If it's been less than 5 years since the completion of your sentence, you may qualify to visit Canada.

If you have any previous DUI charges and need to visit Canada for business purpose, any important event, or any other important reason, you may qualify to enter Canada on a TRP, i.e., temporary resident permit. With a TRP, you may enter Canada on a short visit.

To qualify for a TRP, you must show that your presence will benefit Canada and not risk for Canadians. However, the final decision is at the discretion of the reviewing case officer. Thus, it is essential for you to submit a detailed explanation letter as to why you wish to enter Canada.

The case officer generally issues a TRP for the expected length of visit. For instance, one week to attend an event, like wedding.

Free Assessment Form

Calculate the Sum

2 + 0

Trending News