International Students Choosing Canada for Safety and Stability

by Mansi Sahai Published on 16/Jul/2022
International Students Choosing Canada for Safety and Stability

Canada has always been one of the safest countries in the world for its citizens and immigrants. However, Canada's safety standards have outranked its academic reputation for the first time in history. As a result, the nation's safety standards have become a primary deciding factor for international students studying in Canada.

According to an annual survey for international students conducted by the Canadian Board of International Education (CBIE), nearly 80% of students consider safety the biggest draw. In addition, while 70% of students choose Canada for its educational institutions, the remaining choose for tolerance, diversity and inclusivity.

Moreover, nearly 40% choose to stay in Canada after completing their studies and applying for permanent residency.

Students also shared their experiences during the survey when they were questioned about their experience studying in Canada during their initial days. To nobody's surprise, they had an overall positive experience in finding accommodation and adjusting to the community.

Moreover, students from varied backgrounds, abilities, sexual orientations, beliefs and cultures expressed how they were welcomed warmly in Canada.

Work while studying with Canadian Study Permit

Canada allows a study permit holder to work while studying for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks.

Working on-campus

A Canadian study permit holder is authorized to work as an international student in Canada if they:

  • have a valid Canadian study permit
  • are enrolled as a full-time student at a Canadian DLI (designated learning institution)
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • are allowed to work both on-campus and off-campus

An international student can work on campus under the following conditions:

  • Work at any building located on the campus
  • Work at other locations as a teaching or research assistant where their work is related to any research grant.
  • Work at a library, hospital or research facility which is associated with their institution, even if it is located outside the campus
  • Work for a faculty member, institution, student organization, private contractor or private business, offering on-campus services.

Working Off-Campus

  • International students in Canada can work off-campus if they:
  • are enrolled as a full-time student at a Canadian DLI (designated learning institution)
  • please have a valid study permit, and his/her study program started
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  • are pursuing a study program which is minimum of 6 months long

are allowed to work off campus

Free Assessment Form

Calculate the Sum

4 + 3

Trending News