Migrate to Canada with your Spouse in 2022

by Mansi Sahai Published on 06/Sep/2022
Migrate to Canada with your Spouse

To start a life in a new country can be a daunting task, especially if you are alone. But, this is not the case with an individual who is aspiring to move to Canada. The country supports family reunification, which is one of the key pillars of IRCC's immigration program. The immigration policy and legislation of Canada have always supported family reunification, which permits newcomers as well as long-established Canadians citizens and permanent residents to be reunited with their family members.

There are various pathways that allow you to move to Canada with your spouse or sponsor them once your reach Canada as a PR holder.

One of the most popular Canadian immigration programs is the Federal Skilled Worker program (FSWP). Managed and streamlined by the Express Entry system, FSWP allows skilled foreign workers to apply for Canadian permanent residence. 

Applying as a secondary-applicant

If you apply without a spouse, you are eligible to score up to additional 40 points and if you include your spouse as a secondary-applicant, then he/she can claim 40 points for the key Spouse or Common-law Partner factors, including:

  • Level of education: 10 points
  • Official language proficiency: 20 points
  • Canadian Work Experience: 10 points

So, you are not only eligible to move to Canada with your wife, but can also get more points, if your wife's qualifications are strong and score-worthy.

Spousal Sponsorship

In case your spouse is not included on your Express Entry profile or application, but, your PR application is approved, then your spouse will not become a Canadian PR Holder. 

But, you can always sponsor your wife at a later date through Canada's Spousal Sponsorship program.

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner to move to Canada, only if:

  • You are a Canadian citizen
  • You are registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • You are a permanent resident of Canada
  • You age 18 years or above
  • You are able to prove that you don't get any social assistance for any reason except disability
  • You can financially support your spouse and meet their basic needs 

Free Assessment Form

Calculate the Sum

1 + 5

Trending News