Canada Super Visa: Everything You Need To Know
Family reunification is one of the three key pillars of IRCC's immigration program. All the immigration policy and legislations of Canada have a tradition of supporting and strengthening the idea of family reunification, which permits both newcomers as well as long-established individuals to reunite with their loved ones.
Canada's super visa is also one among several immigration programs that aims at reuniting parents with their children living in Canada.
Recently IRCC introduced the following changes w.e.f July 4, 2022:
- Length of stay in Canada increased to 5 years per entry for PGP super visa holders
- Canadian super visa holders can also request for extension of their stay by up to two years while in Canada
- Allowed the IRCC Minister to designate international medical insurance organizations for providing medical coverage to all super visa applicants
Canada considers a lot of things before deciding whether you can come to Canada on a super visa or not. Thus, it is imperative for you to prove your true intentions and be a genuine visitor who will leave at the end of the visit by choice.
The IRCC look at the following things when you apply:
- Your ties to the home country
- Your purpose of visit
- Your finances and family
- Your home country's overall political and economic stability
- Document navigation
Who can apply for a Super Visa?
In order to be eligible for a super visa, you must:
- Be a parent or grandparent of a citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- Have a letter signed from your child who is inviting you to Canada, it must includes a promise to financially support you for the length of your stay in Canada, the list and number of people in his/her household, a copy of his citizenship or PR document
- Have medical insurance from an insurance company in Canada with a validity period for minimum 1 year from the date of your entry with minimum $100,000 coverage and a proof of your medical insurance that you have paid
- Be admissible to enter Canada
- Undergo an immigration medical examination
What is the process to apply for a super visa?
As mentioned, an applicant can apply only from outside Canada either through online process or on paper.
In order to apply online:
- You must create and upload the electronic copies of all the documents using a scanner or camera
- You must prepare a complete application and submit all the pages
- You must pay your fees along with the application using a valid debit or credit card
- You have to wait till Canada super visa processing time, i.e. 5-7 days