Things to know about Canada’s Federal Skilled Worker Program

by Mansi Sahai Published on 26/Dec/2022
Federal Skilled Worker

Once you decide to immigrate to Canada, then it is important to choose the right Canadian immigration program. If you are a skilled foreign national, then Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) under Canada’s Express Entry System would make an ideal choice. 

The FSWP is a competitive program, which is designed exclusively for those skilled foreign workers who don’t have prior connection to Canada in terms of Canadian study background, Canadian work experience, relative living in Canada as a PR holder or citizen, etc. 

Let's know more about FSWP!

Eligibility Criteria for Federal Skilled Worker Program

To qualify, you must meet minimum eligibility criteria for skilled work experience, education level and English or French language proficiency. Once you meet the criteria, then you must score a minimum of 67 points out of 100 under FSW points-grid on the basis of six selection factors.

  • Education- Minimum 25 points
  • Language Proficiency- Minimum 28 points
  • Age- Minimum 12 points
  • Work Experience- Minimum 15 points
  • Arranged Employment- Minimum 10 points
  • Adaptability- Minimum 10 points

Upon meeting the said requirements, you'll qualify to enter the Express Entry pool of candidates followed by which your profile will be evaluated along with other profiles. The IRCC then assign a score and a rank to all the candidates using a different points system, known as CRS, i.e., Comprehensive Ranking System. You get a score out of 1200 based on different factors, including: 

Core: Up to 600 points

  • Skills and experience factors
  • Spouse or common-law partner factors, such as their language skills and education
  • Skills transferability, including education and work experience

Additional: Up to 600 points

  • Canadian degrees, diplomas or certificates
  • a valid job offer
  • a nomination from a province or territory
  • a brother or sister living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident
  • strong French language skills

Documentation required for Federal Skilled Worker Program

While submitting your Express Entry profile under FSWP, you need to submit the following documents:

  • Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA)- To testify the authenticity of your degree or diploma obtained outside of Canada and to prove that it is equivalent to Canadian standards. 
  • Language Test Results- To prove your language proficiency in any one or both the official languages of Canada, i.e., English or French. 
  • Identity Proof- To prove the identity of yours and your accompanying family members including, birth certificate, valid passport, etc.

If you are among highest-ranking candidates, the IRCC will issue an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian PR. In this point, you must submit an eAPR, i.e. electronic Application for Permanent Residence within 60 days along with supporting documents and application fees. 

Free Assessment Form

Calculate the Sum

6 + 3

Trending News