Work in Canada as Recent Graduate

by Mansi Sahai Published on 16/Jan/2023

Every year, thousands of international students complete their studies in Canada. A lot of students think about settling down permanently in Canada. With Canada’s post-graduation work permit (PGWP) program, an individual who finished their post-secondary study program or any other full-time study program in Canada can legally live and work in Canada on a temporary basis.

Canada’s he PGWP is an open work permit, which allows an international student from a DLI (designated learning institutions) to work for any Canadian employer without a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMAI).

With this permit, they can be employed and gain relevant Canadian skilled work experience in NOC TEER Category 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4. This experience which in turn help you as a recent graduate to qualify for Canadian permanent residence visa via Express Entry’s Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program.

You must apply for Canada’s PGWP within 180 days of your study program completion and can:

  • Work part-time
  • Work full-time
  • Be self-employed

Eligibility Criteria for PGWP

As a recent graduate in Canada, you can work while waiting for a final decision on your application only if, you:

  • Are or were holder of a valid study permit while submitting PGWP application
  • Were enrolled at a DLI in a post-secondary institution as a full-time student
  • Had an off-campus work authorization 
  • Did not exceed the allowable work hours

To apply for a PGWP (post-graduation work permit), you must submit evidence of:

  • Completing a vocational, academic or professional training program in Canada
  • Completing a minimum of 8-months long program that leads to a full-time degree, certificate or diploma.
  • Maintaining full-time student status during academic session 
  • Receiving an official letter and a transcript from Canadian DLI 

Documents Required for PGWP 

You must provide true and accurate documents, which includes:

  • Confirmation letter – To confirm that you have completed a full-time study program. An officer may also ask you to submit any additional document for evaluation.
  • Transcript – You must submit official transcript issued by a DLI and a letter of studies completion.

Free Assessment Form

Calculate the Sum

0 + 1

Trending News